Tymvou (Greek: , Turkish: Ercan) is a village in located in central Cyprus in the Nicosia District. The village is the location of Nicosia's first airport, built during the British colonial rule. The village was originally exclusively inhabited by Greek Cypriots, and in 1960, it has a population of 1133 people. (Source:  Choose "tables" and then "Lefkosia") The original population was expelled by the Turkish army in 1974 following the Turkish invasion of Cyprus.
The airport is currently used by Turkey and the authorities of the de facto (but not internationally recognized) Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus. Its current Turkish name, Ercan, is after a soldier. A few foreign airlines, notably from Great Britian use the airport, but it is not internationally recognized, since it is under the control of an administration only recognized by Turkey.
Greece and the Republic of Cyprus have warned that any airliners flying to the Turkish-occupied part of Cyprus will excluded from airports in Greece and the government-controlled areas of Cyprus. Greek and Greek-Cypriot authorities may deny anyone entry into either country if he/she has entered Northern Cyprus by a non-recognized airport.
Another airport exists in Northern Cyprus at Lefkoniko (Greek: Λευκόνοικο, Turkish: Gecitkale) but it is mostly used for military purposes.
Note: the town's name is sometimes also rendered as Tymbou, but Tymvou is currently used on government maps.
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"