The Iraklion (or Herakleion) Archaeological Museum (Greek Αρχαιολογικό Μουσείο Ηρακλείου) contains the most notable collection of artefacts of the Minoan civilization of Crete. The museum began in 1883 as a simple collection of antiquities. A dedicated building was constructed from 1904 to 1912 at the instigation of two Cretan archaeologists, Iosif Hadzidakis and Stefanos Xanthoudides. From 1937, work began on the present earthquake-proof building. The museum was damaged during World War II, but the collection survived intact and was again accessible to the public from 1952. A new wing was added in 1964.
Besides the Minoan collection, other periods of Cretan history are covered, from the Neolithic to the Greco-Roman period.
Rhython carrier, Part of a Fresco from Cnossus (Knossos) 1400 BC
Click image to enlarge
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org "