Areopoli (Greek: Αρεόπολη) is the second largest town in Mani. The word areopoli means "city of Ares", the ancient Greek god of war. It is the seat of Oitylo municipality as well as Oitylo Province. However, Areopoli was not always the name of the city. Tsimova was Areopli's first name. The Greek War of Independence was started at Areopli on the 21st of March 1821 by the bay of Mani Petros Mavromihalis. Now Areopoli has grown into a flourishing town.
Geography and Information
Postal code: 230 62
Dialing code: 030-27330
Areopoli has a primary school, a middle school, a secondary school, churches, a beach, a port and a square (plateia).
Diros Cave, April 2006, Photo by Markos Alexandrou
Kalamakia Cave / Areopolis
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org"