Nekyomanteio or Necromanteio
8th Century BC - Described by Homer.
Late 4th Century BC - Building erected.
167 BC - Burned down by the Romans.
18th Century - Monastery of St. John the Baptist built on top.
1958-1964 - Excavated by the archaeologist Prof. Sotirios Dakaris.
1976-1977 - More excavations by Sotirios Dakaris.
This site was believed to be the door to the hades, the realm of the dead. The word Nekromanteion means oracle of the death, and the people came here to talk with their late ancestors.
The Nekromanteion of Ephyra is the only oracle of the death in Greece. It belonged to the Thesprotians, an early Greek tribe who settled in this area about 2000 B.C.. It was even mentioned by Homer, who obviously knew of the place.
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org"