Apostolos Nikolaidis Stadium

Apostolos Nikolaidis stadium (Stadio "Apostolos Nikolaidis") is the football ground Panathinaikos plays since the club's foundation in 1908. The stadium is named after a deceased club president. It is in the Ampelokipi district of Athens , east of the Lycabettus Hill and on Alexandras Avenue, by which name it is most commonly known ; Leoforou Alexandras (Λεωφόρου Αλεξάνδρας). The venue also houses a small basketball and volleyball court, a swimming pool, a boxing rink and offices, all contained under the stands.

The Stadium also known as Leoforou Alexandras in the 1970s

Due to the stadium's old construction, dearth of space and dense urbanization of the area, the club has sought to move. Negotiations are currently under way between the Greek government, the Municipality of Athens, and the football, basketball, volleyball and amateur divisions of the club in order to facilitate the building of a new, comprehensive sports complex to house all of the 21 departments of Panathinaikos elsewhere. Sites proposed include the nearby Goudi Park, the unused area occupied by the former International airport of Athens and the industrial Votanikos district, currently the favorite. Athens Mayor Dora Bakoyianni has stated that such a project will revitalise the area as well as benefit the club.

All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License