Palaiokastritsa (Greek: ) is a municipality in the Corfu Prefecture, Greece. Population 4,95 (2001). The seat of the municipality is in Lakones.
Corfu is considered to be the mythical island of the Phaeacians. The bay of Palaiokastritsa is considered to be the place where Odysseus disembarked and met Nausicaa for the first time.
After World War II and the Greek Civil War, much of its buildings were rebuilt. One of the movies were filmed in the 1960s that has the song Kerkyra, Kerkyra, it was later featured in several television programs.
Palaiokastritsa has several schools, a lyceum (middle school), a gymnasium (secondary school), a few churches, a post office, and a square (plateia). The village has no school, its nearest are in Lakones and Liapades.
On a nearby hill there is a monastery, dating to 1225. There is a museum inside.
Division of the municipality
- Lakones / Δ.δ. Λακώνων [ 755 ]
- Lakones / οι [ 502 ]
- Palaiokastritsa / η [ 253 ]
- Aleimmatades / Δ.δ. Αλειμματάδων [ 208 ]
- Aleimmatades / οι [ 138 ]
- Agia Anna / η Αγία Άννα [ 70 ]
- Gardelades / Δ.δ. Γαρδελάδων -- οι [ 338 ]
- Doukades / Δ.δ. Δουκάδων [ 689 ]
- Doukades / οι [ 678 ]
- Papathanatika / τα Παπαθανάτικα [ 11 ]
- Krini / Δ.δ. Κρήνης -- η [ 256 ]
- Liapades / Δ.δ. Λιαπάδων [ 1.026 ]
- Makrades / Δ.δ. Μακράδων [ 376 ]
- Makrades / οι [ 288 ]
- Vistonas / ο [ 88 ]
- Skriperon / Δ.δ. Σκριπερού [ 747 ]
- Skriperon / το [ 642 ]
- Felekas / ο Φέλεκας [ 105 ]
Doukades is a village 20 km NW of Kerkyra city. The name acccording to a version is derived from the family name Doukas found in a list of names from 1616. The village was declared as a "preserved traditional settlement". Some of the interesting building are the mansion of Theotokis, the school at the entrance to the village.
Medieval Greece / Byzantine Empire
Science, Technology , Medicine , Warfare
, Biographies , Life , Cities/Places/Maps , Arts , Literature , Philosophy ,Olympics, Mythology , History , Images
Science, Technology, Arts
, Warfare , Literature, Biographies
Cities, Islands, Regions, Fauna/Flora ,
Biographies , History , Warfare
Science/Technology, Literature, Music , Arts , Film/Actors , Sport , Fashion