Efpalio (or Evpalio) (Greek: ) is a municipality in Phocis, Greece. Population 6507 (2001). It is named after ancient Efpalio a city of Locris (Ozolae).
Division of the municipality
Moni Koimiseos Theotokou Varnakovis is a monastery (alt. 800 m) founded around the year 1077 during the period of the Emperor Michael VII Ducas or Parapinakes.
The monastery is 20 km from Nafpaktos. It is known as Varnakova and Vernikova and is one of the oldest monasteries (5th) in Greece. It was partly destroyed by the Turks during the war of independence in 1826 and was rebuild in 1831.
Efpalio is a village c. 30 km from Patras The population is 682 (much more stay in the summer). It has a folklore Museum, a gift of the physician Charalambos Sbarounis and his wife Antigoni.
Efpalio was known in the past as Soules. Efpalio has three squares (plateies): Karyas, Eleftheriou Venizelou and Athanasiou Diakou. In the center of the village is the church of Agios Nikolaos from the year 1912.
Grigoritika is a settlement from villagers of Grigori in Aetoloakarnania.
Pefkakio is a settlement of the district Drosato, before 1958 known as Paliochano
Efpalio, Google Earth
Filothei, Efpalio view from Paleokastro ("Old Castle")
Filothei is a village (alt. c. 500 m) of the Efpalio municipality in the past known as Goumaioi. The village was founded in the early 19th century ( a village close to Filothei existed since the 15th century and its name was Apano Longos). The population of Filothei increased in 1826 after the fall of Messolongi. In the past part of the region belonged to the monastery Koimiseos Theotokou Varnakovis. 1 km from Filothei is the ancient site Paleokastro (alt. 650 m) with a part of an ancient fortification. In this region also in the past the monastry Ai Giannis Thermon existed which was destroyed during the war for independence.