From 1918 to 1998 Kaminia was an independent community.
Kaminia (Greek: Καμίνια), accented form: Kamínia is a village in the northeast of the Greek island of Limnos. It is a municipal The 2001 population was 319 for the village and 347 for the municipal district. It is located in the southeastern peninsula of the island and located around half an hour from the coast. It is wet from the Aegean Sea by the coasts of Xespasmata, Molos, cape Vroskopos, Poliochni and Kokkinovrachos. Its elevation is at 60 m. Its area is around 12.487 ha, of which 7,600 ha are arable.The village is known from the Stele of Kaminia discovered in 1885.
In the period 1920/30 archaeologists from Italy made systematical studies of the ancient city of Poliochni
It is bounded with Roussopoulo to the north, Moudros to the west and southwest and the settlement of Agia Sofia of Fissini to the southeast and south.
The village was mentioned in 1346 from a Megistis Lavras census from Agios Oros. During the Turkish rule, its residents were entirely Greek. It had 90 families in 1874, it opened a communal school from that year. After the ruination of columnb, the village was visited by many tourists. Until the end of the Turkish period, it had a post offivve and mad coins with the letters PK (Παναγία Καμινίων) meaning Panagia Kaminia.
In the 1920s and the 1930s, excavatgion by the Italian Archaeological School on the prehistoric city of Poliochne. A new school building was built in 1932 and later had 100 students and ran as a three and a two-system until 1980. It became one-system in 1980 and closed in 1994 as most of its students attend in Moudros. Kaminia had 874 people in 1954. Many of its residents emigrated to North America and other parts mostly Montreal after World War II and the Greek Civil War.
Its residents rely on seeds. It is presently farmed with wheat and vineyards, cotton was farmed until 1970. From 1937, it ran the Rural Council, in which it has a vintage, honeycombs, cafes, taverns, rented rooms, a kiosk, etc.
* Poseidon Kaminia of Lemnos (1982) - a soccer and a cultural club. It was ran by a local soccer field championship until 2003. Every summer, it ran its cultural and athletic council Poseidonas in which featured in several road events, theatrical shows, dances, local dance educations, etc. It has a small soccer field.
* Argyrios Moschidis (1865 or '69 - 1912 in Cairo), a historian writer.
* Vassiliki Tourptsoglou-Stefanidou: Journeys and Geographic Sources of the Island of Lemnos (15th-20th Centuries)
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"