Aristotle in Stageira (Wikipedia)
Stagira-Akantho (Στάγιρα-Άκανθος) is a municipality in Chalcidice, Greece. Population 8,781 (2001). The seat of the municipality is in Ierissos.
Stagira (or Stageira) is a Greek village lying on a picturesque plateau on the Chalcidice peninsula, and standing at the foot of the Argirolofos hill. The village is chiefly known for being the birthplace of Aristotle, and a beautiful statue of him stands in the village. However, Aristotle was actually born a few kilometres north from the village, in the ancient city of Stageira (near the city now called Olympias).
In Byzantine times, Stagira was called Siderokafsia (which means blast furnace). The sultan's mint was located here in the 16th century and many ruins of furnaces can be found close to the village.
The present-day village has 372 inhabitants (2001), but including the neighbouring village of Stratoniki, with which Stagira virtually merges, the population increases to around 1500. The central church was built in 1814.
Division of the municipality of Stagira-Akantho
Ierissos is a large village in the South of the Chalkidiki Peninsula. Thessaloniki is around 160 km NW of Ierissos. Around 10 km from Ierissos are the borders to Athos. South of Ierissos are the ruins of the ancient city Akanthos (Acanthus).
See Acanthus. for more details about the history
Around the start of the 1st century, Acanthus's renaming began, with its name translated into the Latin Ericius, from which was derived its Byzantine and modern name of Ierissos or Erissos.
During the Byzantine era Erissos was the seat of a bishopric, evidenced from 883. From the 10th century onwards, the town's history is indissolubly linked with that of Mount Athos. In 942 there were disputes between Ierissos and the monks of Mount Athos over the borders between Ierissos and the monastic community's lands and, the following year, the differences were settled in person by a large commission of major politicians and church officials.
In the summer of 1425 Ierissos came into the hands of the Turks. During that time the Venetians, starting from Cassandreia, landed on the coastline of Ierissos, burnt down Ierissos (by then only a large village) and its surroundings and (on departure) set alight the castle and five towers. In 1821 Ierissos took part in the Greek War of Independence and during the repression the village was burnt down by the Turks and a large number of residents killed.
In 1932 the village was destroyed by a powerful earthquake, with 121 people were killed and approximately 500 injured. After the earthquake the new Ierisso was built in its current position, a little north west of the ancient city.
Coordinates 40° 23' N, 23° 52' O