The city is divided by the River Elassonitis in two parts that are connected by four bridges. The monastery of Panagia Olympiotissa is an attraction and a symbol of the city. Its katholikon was build in the 13th century.
The festival of Eleutheria every year celebrates the liberation of the city from the Turks (6.10.1912).
East part of Elassona with the Elassonitis (or Elassonitikos) River
Monastery Panagia Olympiotissa
The Bridge of the Axios River
Around 20 km outside of Elassona is the Military Museum of Sarantaporo, named after the important battle of Sarantaporo won by the Greek army, despite the opinion of the military teacher of the Ottoman army, the German Wilhelm Leopold Colmar Freiherr von der Goltz, that the place would be a "grave for the Greeks".
The true population of the municipality of Elassona was 12.056 in 2001. The districts are
Aetorrachi is a village founded by refuges from Sevasteia from Pontos. It was earlier known as Velesniko
Agioneri is a small village in the past known as Tsernilo
Kefalovryso is a village c. 12 km from Elassona, population 321 mainly farmers
Palaiokastro is a village c. 16 km from Elassona, population 365. Palaiokastro which means old castle is named after two castles in the region of which some ruins exist.
Valanida is a village c. 15 km from Elassona. It is named after the Oak Trees in the region. Churches: Agioi Anargyroi from 1647
Tsaritsani / Δ.δ. Τσαριτσάνης -- η Τσαρίτσανη [ 2.507 ] was until 15.3.2006 part of the municipality, now a community of Elassona
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"