Melivoia (Greek: ) is a municipality in the Larissa Prefecture, Greece. Population 3472 (2001). The seat of the municipality is in Sotiritsa. Melivoia is located east of the capital of the prefecture and Thessaly, Larissa and a few kilometers north of Agia. The mountains surround the area and the Aegean Sea is to the northeast. Its name dates back to the ancient times. The Magnesia prefecture is bounded 20 to 25 km southeast. The municipality is mainly within the Aegean Sea.
Its main industry are agriculture and tourism with a couple of businesses and services.
Melivoia fully became a part of Greece after liberating much of Thessaly in 1881. Its main income has been poor. After World War II and the Greek Civil War, many buildings were rebuilt, several remain and repaired.
Electricity and automobiles arrived in the 1960s, it was linked with pavement in the late-20th century, television arrived in the 1980s. Internet and computers arrived in the late-1990s. Tourism exploded but not as much as Magnesia, Southern Greece and Halkidiki, it has several hotels, bars, restaurants and taverns by the Aegean.
The worst event that arrived to Melivia was the forest fire the fire began not far from Agia on June 27, 2007 and spread for kilometres reaching the town destroying several trees and houses leaving several people homeless, several others were mainly from larger towns and cities of Greece. It consumed approximately 5000 to 10000 ha, it disintegrated on June 29.
It has several roads in the municipality including the road linking Agia and Melivoia and another linking Melivoia and Sklithro.
Year Settlement population Municipal population
1981 1926 -
Melivoia has a school, a lyceum (middle school), a gymnasium (secondary school) a few churches, banks, a post office and a square (plateia), its nearest hospital is in Larissa.
Division of the municipality
Agiokampos (Greek: Αγιόκαμπος) is a village in the municipality of Melivoia (municipal district of Skiti), It is a beach resort.
Kokkino Nero (gr. Red Water) is a settlement of the district of Melivoia and Karitsa of Evrymenes. It is named after a spring of water with a large concentration of iron responsible for the red color. A Byzantinian bridge is near the water spring.
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"