Gomfoi (Gómfoi) (Greek: ) is a municipality in the Trikala Prefecture, Greece. Population 5154 (2001). The seat of the municipality is in Lygaria. The Pindus mountains lies to the west. Gomfoi is located southwest of the prefectural capital of Trikala and is also connected with the main road with that city. Gomfoi is one of several municipalities in the prefecture and the country in which it does not have settlements. The Thessalian Plain dominates the eastern portion.
Gomfoi was founded during the ancient times, it was later renamed Philippopolis (Greek, Ancient: Φιλιππούπολις, Modern: Φιλιππούπολη) during the years of Philip II of Macedon. It was later renamed Gomfoi. Gomfoi was later run by the Romans, the Byzantines and last the Ottomans before joining the rest of Greece in 1881 after Thessaly was liberated. Gomfoi boomed its economy. Electricity and automobiles arrived in the 1960s, it was linked with pavement in the late-20th century, television arrived in the 1980s. Internet and computers arrived in the late-1990s.
Division of the municipality
Gomfoi , called earlier Rapsista, is named after the ancient place Gomfoi known also during the time of Philip II as Philipoupolis. .