Kasos , Satellite Images, Greece
Height scaled enhanced
Agia Marina, Kasos, Google Earth
Kasos (also Kassos; Greek: Κάσος; Italian: Caso) is a Greek island in the Dodecanese. is 7 km west of Karpathos and 70km NW of Crete. The Island dimensions are 16 km x 6 km, the area around 64 km2. The population, around 1500 is concentrated mainly in the Harbour Fry and some smaller villages.
It is the southernmost island in the Aegean Sea. As of 2001, its population was 990. In ancient times, the island a safe harbor for the Philistines, and to this day is still regarded as an island where ship owners could locate a sea savvy crew.
Before the Greek revolution Kasos contained a population of 12000, of whom 3000 were able to carry arms. During the three first years of the war, the ships of this little island, whose very existence was unknown in western Europe, blockaded the towns of Crete, and inflicted considerable damage on the Turks. The Pasha of Egypt at length determined on crushing the Casians ; and on June 18, 1824, a squadron of forty-five vessels, with a body of troops on board, surrounded the island. The Moslems effected a landing during the following night, and the island was speedily reduced, but without the indiscriminate slaughter of Chios and Psara. About 500 Kasians fell in action, and 2000 women and children were dragged into slavery.After this catastrophe, the island was nearly deserted for some years, the remaining inhabitants having taken refuge in Greece
When Ross visited the island in 1843, he found a population of 5000, possessing 75 large merchant vessels, and extensively engaged in the general commerce of the Mediterranean.
Kasos was not part of Greece until 1948 when it was officially annexed.
Kassos / T.δ. Κάσου [ 990 ]