Proussos (or Prousos) (Προυσσός) is village part of the synonymous municipality in Evrytania, Greece. Population 2253 (2001).
Proussos, Google Earth
Division of the municipality
Monastery Proussos (or Prousos) (Iera Moni Prousou), with the village Proussos in the Background
The Monastery of Proussos was named after the Icon of Panagia Prousiotissa from Prousa in Minor Asia, according to a legend painted by Luke the Evangelist. It is 31 km north of Karpenisi. It was build in the 9th century (some say 12th century). According to a legend the monastery was founded during the period of the Byzantine Emperor Theophilos (829-842) who was an iconoclast ( against the use of icons). To protect the icon it was decided by supporterts of the use of icons to move it to a safe place. The two persons responsible to find a place for the icon who came in Proussos decided to stay here and to build a monastery, and they were the first monks who changed their names to Dionysios and Timotheos. According to legends they decided the place due to miracles that happened due to the icon and because they could not move the icon to another place.
Part of the monastery was destroyed 1587 by a fire. During the Greek war of independence it was a refuge place of various heroes such as Giorgos Karaiskakis, Markos Botsaris or Lambros Katsonis. A large part of the monastery was destroyed , including many books and documents, by fire set by German troops in the second world war.
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"