Ano Diakopto (Greek:, Modern: meaning Upper Diakopto, Ancient/Katharevousa: -ον -on), older form: -on, also with the second a accented is a Greek village located about west of Corinth and Athens, north-northwest of Kalavryta and east of Aigio and Patras. The GR-9 (Patras - Pyrgos - Kyparissia is around the area. The population of Ano Diakopto was 333 in 2001 and 373 for the synonymous municipal district. Ano Diakopto is part of the municipality of Diakopto. Its older name used to be known as Pera Machalas or Pera Mahalas (Πέρα Μαχαλάς).
Ano Diakopto was ruled by the Ottomans for 370 years from the mid-15th century with the exceptions in the mid to late-15th century and much of the mid to late-16th century by the Venetians. Finally, the area became a part of Greece after the Greek War of Independence of 1821 and was liberated after the declaration of independence.
After World War II and the Greek Civil War, much of the population left for larger towns and cities especially the nearby Patras. The population grew since the early late-20th century.
Houses were stone-built until the 1950s and did not surpass modern-style homes until the 1980s. It was linked with pavement in the 1980s. Most of the homes are abandoned today.
Recently, Ano Diakopto on Wednesday July 24, 2007 was ravaged by a tremendous fire that destroyed the area of Ano Diakopto, its pine, Greek Fir and cypress trees were burnt and firefighters, helicopters and planes battled against the fire. Crops were also damaged including olive groves and grapevines.
The village is built on the slopes of Chelmos with a beautiful scenery of its pine forest.
Ano Diakopto has a school, a church, and a square (plateia). Its nearest lyceum (middle school), a nearest school gymnasium (secondary school) are in Diakopto, its nearest hospital is the Agios Andreas Hospital in eastcentral Patras.
Year Ano Diakopto Population
Municipal district of Ano Diakopto
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"