Bizani (Greek: Μπιζάνι) is a municipality in the Ioannina Prefecture, Greece. Population 4241 (2001). The seat of the municipality is in Pedini
Bizani is connected with the GR-17 (Ioannina-Dodoni) and is located about 10 km southwest of downtown Ioannina, NNW of Arta, north of Preveza and east of Igoumenitsa.
Much of the area are mountainous and forested with some grasslands, farmlands are within the valley areas and to the east.
Bizani was the location of the Battle of Bizani that took place in February 1913 as part of the Balkan Wars as the last stronghold for Ioannina and the remainder of Epirus before ending almost five centuries of Ottoman Turkish rule.
After World War II and the Greek Civil War, its buildings were rebuilt and emigration occurred but in the 1990s, Pedini began its small population explosion. Bizani became connected with asphalt in the 1960s. Electricity, radio and automobiles were introduced in the mid-20th century, television in the late-20th century and computer and internet at the turn of the millennium. The municipality was created in the late-1990s.
Division of the municipality
- Pedini / Τ.δ. Πεδινής [ 2089 ]
- Pedini / η Πεδινή [ 1755 ]
- Fteri / η Φτέρη [ 180 ]
- Chioniasa / η Χιονιάσα [ 154 ]
- Ampeleia / Τ.δ. Αμπελείας [ 324 ]
- Ampeleia / η Αμπελεία [ 289 ]
- Filothei / η Φιλοθέη [ 35 ]
- Asvestochorion / Τ.δ. Ασβεστοχωρίου -- το Ασβεστοχώριον [ 312 ]
- Kontsika / Τ.δ. Κόντσικας [ 303 ]
- Kontsika / η Κόντσικα [ 266 ]
- Synoikismos Kontsika / ο Συνοικισμός Κόντσικας [ 37 ]
- Kosmira / Τ.δ. Κοσμηράς -- η Κοσμηρά [ 497 ]
- Monoliasa / Τ.δ. Μανολιάσης -- η Μανολιάσα [ 307 ]
- Bizanion / Τ.δ. Μπιζανίου [ 409 ]
Retrieved parts from "http://en.wikipedia.org/"
All text is available under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License
Medieval Greece / Byzantine Empire
Science, Technology , Medicine , Warfare
, Biographies , Life , Cities/Places/Maps , Arts , Literature , Philosophy ,Olympics, Mythology , History , Images
Science, Technology, Arts
, Warfare , Literature, Biographies
Cities, Islands, Regions, Fauna/Flora ,
Biographies , History , Warfare
Science/Technology, Literature, Music , Arts , Film/Actors , Sport , Fashion