Karystos (Greek: ) is a small coastal town on the Greek island of Euboea. It has 5011 inhabitants. It lies 129 km south of Chalkis. From Athens it is accessible by ferry via the Rafina port. Its urban plan was laid out by the Bavarian civil engineer Bierbach, in the middle of the 19th century, near the site of the ancient city of Karystos. During the period of King Otto the city was called Othonoupolis ("City of Otto)
The ancient city of Karystos (lat. Carystus) is mentioned in the catalog of ships , Iliad Book 2 of Homer.
It was named after Carystus.
- The reconstructed Venetian fortress of Castel Rosso, built in the 13th century on the eastern beach of the town.
- The ruins of the Venetian castle built in 1030 and ancient marble quarries, both at the nearby hamlet of Myloi.
- The town hall, built at the end of the 19th century.
- A small museum hosted by the Yokaleion Cultural Centre (supported by Nikolaos Yokalas or Giokalas), featuring collections of Hellenistic and Roman era sculptures and pottery.
- The Orthodox monasteries of Taxiarches, St. George and St. Mavra.
- The mountain area of Mt. Ochi.
- Cape Cavo-Doro.
View of the Venetian fortress Bourtzi in Karystos
- Glaucus of Karystos (gr. Glaukos), olympic boxing winner BC
- Diocles of Carystus, famous physician
Division of the municipality (Δ.δ. : municipal department)
- Karystos / Δ.δ. Καρύστου 
- Karystos / η 
- Zarboutaiika / τα Ζαρμπουταίϊκα 
- Sfyridoupoli / η Σφυριδούπολη 
- Aetos / Δ.δ. Αετού 
- Aetos / ο 
- Akrotiri / το Ακρωτήρι 
- Metochion / το Μετόχιον 
- Bouros / ο Μπούρος 
- Grabia / Δ.δ. Γραμπιάς 
- Grabia / η 
- Mekounida / η Μεκουνίδα 
- Rouklia / τα Ρούκλια 
- Kalyvia / Δ.δ. Καλυβίων -- τα Καλύβια 
- Myloi / Δ.δ. Μύλων -- οι Μύλοι 
- Platanistos / Δ.δ. Πλατανιστού 
- Platanistos / ο 
- Agioi / οι Άγιοι 
- Elaion / ο 
- Epanochorion / το 
- Kastri / το Καστρί 
- Mandilou (island) / η Μανδηλού (νησίδα) 
- Pidoulaiika / τα Πηδουλαίικα 
- Potamion / το 
In the proximity of Karystos at 24.6° eastern longitude and 38.0° northern latitude at the circular-total solar eclipse on May 20, 1966 12 sounding rockets (5 rockets of the type "Sparrow Arcas", 5 of the type "Arcas" and 2 of type "Centaure") were launched. In the apron of this action one "Sparrow Arcas", one "Centaure" and one "Arcas" were launched on May 15, 1966. A further rocket of the type "Arcas" was launched on May 21, 1966.
List of settlements in the Euboea prefecture
Medieval Greece / Byzantine Empire
Science, Technology , Medicine , Warfare
, Biographies , Life , Cities/Places/Maps , Arts , Literature , Philosophy ,Olympics, Mythology , History , Images
Science, Technology, Arts
, Warfare , Literature, Biographies
Cities, Islands, Regions, Fauna/Flora ,
Biographies , History , Warfare
Science/Technology, Literature, Music , Arts , Film/Actors , Sport , Fashion