Kalamaria Satellite image
Kalamaria, Thessaloniki (Google Earth)
Kalamaria (Greek: Καλαμαριά) is a suburban city and municipality in the Thessaloniki Prefecture located about 5 km southeast of downtown Thessaloniki. The city is accessed with Konstantinos Karamanlis Avenue to the east which links with GR-16 superhighway to Chalkidiki and one with Nikis Avenue and the old highway to Chalkidiki. Another main road links with Thermi. The Thessaloniki Ring lies to the southeast and east which bypasses the urban cluster of Thessaloniki except Panorama less than 2/3 from the sea. The municipal population is ranked second in Macedonia as well as Northern Greece except Thessaly and ninth in Greece. The population boomed 8% from the 1991 census.
The area was first settled by humans in prehistoric times, and remains from that settlement have been found around the Karabournaki cape.
The name Kalamaria was first used in 1083 to denote the area southeast of Thessaloniki, including but not limited to the area of the present-day municipality. During the Byzantine and the Ottoman periods, the area was mostly uninhabited.
The city was created in the early 1920s to house refugees from the Greek diaspora in Georgia and Asia Minor, who fled or were forcibly repatriated to Greece as a result of the Greco-Turkish War. As many as 100,000 refugees relocated to Thessaloniki, primarily to the city's suburbs. Refugees of Pontic descent mainly relocated in Kalamaria, and the city population is predominantly of Pontic descent to this day.
Kalamaria has seen substantial recent growth as part of a population shift from rural and urban areas to suburban areas. Between the 1981 and 2001 censuses, the population of Kalamaria grew by about 36,000 (or, 69%).Up until 1943 Kalamaria was part of the Municipality of Thessaloniki.
On 1st of January 1943 it became an independent administrative unity . The total area of the Council of Kalamaria covers 7.200 acres.
Two thirds of Kalamaria is surrounded by sea with 6.5 km of beautiful coastline.
Kalamaria had a population of 14.000 residents as recorded by an inventory in 1947, this has considerably increased, as shown by a census in 2002 where Kalamaria had a total of 87.312 residents.
Kalamaria has the second highest population in the Council of the Town Planning Group of Thessaloniki but also of Northern Greece and ninth in all of Greece.
The Council is separated into 10 geographical districts , which have been given names of the homelands of the refugees who were the first residents of Kalamaria.
The commercial spirit, creativity and culture of the first residents of Kalamaria, combined with the potential of the areas geographical location, has molded today’s Kalamaria into a suburb with wonderful natural surroundings and offers an excellent quality of life.
Today, Kalamaria is characterized as a purely residential area. The natural surroundings and excellent street planning continually attracts new residents, makes the district a suburb which harmonically combines greenery and sea together with the warmth of its residents, resulting in a higher standard of life.
1. Its financial zone is supported by the growth of trade, the core being the tourist attractions especially on the beaches. Also trade in the area around the historic center is developing in the Municipality.
2. Carrying on a tradition of being a place of recreation and excursion, Kalamaria has become a place of increased tourist activity. This has resulted in bringing the residents of Thessaloniki together for entertainment and relaxation.
Kalamaria has 14 sporting teams including the most famous Apollon Kalamarias.
Kalamaria has schools, lyceums, gymnasia, churches, banks, a post office, a sporting field, a cinema, a port, a marina, a bus station, and squares (plateies).
Some of the most famous personalities of Kalamaria are :