Kozani (Greek: Κοζάνη) is a city in northern Greece, capital of Kozani Prefecture. It is in the western part of Macedonia. The city lies 710 meters above sea level, 15km north-west of the lake Polyfitos, 120km south-west of Thessaloniki.
Kozani is the home of the Technological Educational Institute of West Macedonia and the department of Energy Management of the University of West Macedonia. One of the more important aspects of local folklore is Kozani's carnival at the end of the winter, which retains much of the profanity of the ancient Dionysiac cult.
Kozani's nearest airport is Filippos Airport, 3km away from the city, IATA code: KZI. The airport was first opened in the mid-20th century. Kozani is build near highway 'via Egnatia'('Egnatia odos'), which connect the coast of Ionian Sea with Thessaloniki and Turkish borders
The precise origin of the name 'Kozani' remains unknown; however, one theory suggests that it may be a derivative of the ancient Greek Macedonian word kosdianos (Κοσδιανος), that is, with the letters "σδ" pronounced as a rough Z or Zh. Another possible theory suggest that the name may be a form of the Turkish word Kovan, meaning "beehive", perhaps referring to city's honey production, or of the South Slavic koza = goat, due to the livestock-farming of the region. In Turkish Kozan means a speed capsule or cocoon.
Kozani , Satellite Images, Greece
Heracles Relief from Kozani (the type of Hercules Farnese based on a work of Lysippus)
Antiquities, from the prehistoric until the Byzantine period, have found in many parts of the city. In the east part of Kozani, an ancient necropolis has been found, dating back from the early iron age.
Kozani was founded probably by Christian settlers who after the Ottoman conquest withdrew from the plains of Macedonia into the mountains. Its safe position soon attracted other Christians expelled from Epirus. Together with the settlers from Epirus, many cattle-breeders moved in the region.
For fisrt time Kozani was mentioned in an Ottoman register of 1528, as a settling with 91 houses, 23 singles and 15 widows (Gounaropoulos 1872, Megdanis 1820, Lioufis 1924).
One of the most important coloners of Kozani was the chief shepherd Ioannis Trantas, who came in the settling with about 100 families (Gounaropoulos 1872:488-9 and Lioufis 1924:44-5). His son, Charisios Trantas, in 1664, take Sultan Firman, with which, the town got under the Sultan mother's protection, got many privileges and was forbiden for the Turks to live in it.
In 1664 the magnificent church of Agios Nikolaos was built. In 1668 the library and the famous school of Kozani were founded. During the 17th and 18th century the commercial relations with the countries of central Europe give the opportunity for the city to developed economically. During the 19th century, as foreigner travellers narrate, the population of the town was Greek and it had increasing tendentions (Leake 1835:305 and Bouè 1854:87). Kozani was liberated from the Turks on 11 October 1912.
The earthquake that happened in the region on 13 May 1995 with intensity of 6,6R had only material damages.
The city now combines modern with the old architecture. Some magnificent buildings are the clock tower, the townhall, the folklore museum, the national bank building and the mansions of Georgios Lassanis and Grigorios Vourkas. The "Koventareios" Municipal library, which is the second biggest in Greece, has 150,000 books, rare publications, valuable documents, and one of the rare copies of Rigas Feraios Charter.
Today Kozani is the administrative, commercial, economic, and transport centre of the region of West Macedonia.
The seal of the municipality of Kozani - The fighter of the Macedonian Struggle, G.Lassanis
The city is mostly known for the important contribution to the greek electricity and a big part of population works in the factories which produce electricity from coal.Other famous products are marbles,Saffron,fruits,local wines and specialized arts and crafts industry.
The Commercial Exhibition of Kozani
It takes part in the Exhibition Center of West Macedonia in Koila Kozanis every September. Many firms from Greece and other Balkan countries participate especially with locals products.
The region's vast industrial advancement in a short period of time has raised environmentalist concerns.
Cityhall of Kozani [Source]
Kozani has three provinces.
It is bounded by the prefectures of Florina to the northwest and to the north Pella to the northeast, Imathia and Pieria to the east, Larissa which is a part of Thessaly to the southeast, Grevena to the south, Kastoria to the southwest and Kastoria to the west.
Plateia Nikis,Agios Nikolaos clock tower (Mamatsios) in 1916, a lasting landmark
Sites of interests
The public transit in the city is provided by mini buses.The traffic problems of the city have become more severe the last time.
Zone of Alternate Urban Planning
Kozani,in the district of Western Macedonia in Greece,is developing into a nodal town of the Western Balkans,with areas and activities of a wider regional nature.Within this context the municipality of Kozani is creating a modern satellite town,the Kozani Zone of Alternate Urban planning(ZEP). The Municipal Corporation of alternate planning and development of Kozani S.A.(DEPEPOK)was established in order to implement the projects of ZEP. ZEP strategically located on 50 ha area south-west of Kozani aims to become e model development centre,attracting an urban population and economic activities from throughout Western Macedonia in Greece and the Western Balkans.http://www.depepok.com.
Georgios Karajannis from Kozani migrated 1767 to Austria, his son was Theodor von Karajan (historian and politician), the grandfather of Herbert von Karajan
Division of the municipality of Kozani with a population 47451